A lot of times, we think our prayers are unanswered because we can not find concrete proof.
We immediately despair and wonder why God is no longer with us.
The truth is that God does answer prayers and He never stops listening, as seen in Jeremiah 29:12-13;
“Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.”
However, the Bible tells us that God may not answer
Thankfully, our Father is a merciful God, because He has told us what to do in these situations.
Here are five things to do when your prayers are not answered.
1. Ask for forgiveness for your sins: Sin separates us from God, meaning He is unable to help us, because we are not with God. So, start your prayers by asking for forgiveness , first. John 9:31 emphasises this, “We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does his will.”
2. Avoid evil and unGodly behaviour: 1 Peter 3:12 says, “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.” Another verses says ‘the prayer of a sinner is an abomination unto God’. Stop blocking your prayers/blessings with unGodly acts.
3. Change the way you pray: Sometimes, it seems like God has not answered our prayers, because we are praying for the wrong things or with the wrong attitude or intention. It is important to know why you are praying and if your prayers align with God’s plan for you. You can start and end your prayer by saying, ‘Let your will be done’. This lets God know that you trust Him and His plan for you.
4. Have faith: Mark 11:24 says, “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.” A lot of times, God is unable to bless because we have this huge wall, made of doubts, fears and concerns. Knock down this wall by having faith in His abilities, and your prayers will be answered.
5. Hold on to His word: After doing the above, there is nothing left to do, but to hold on to His word. Use Bible verses, when faced with doubts or worries. Ephesians 3: 20-21 says, “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.” Use this to chase away the despair and see God respond to your prayers.
It is important to remember that God’s ways are different from ours.
So, simply hold on to His promises in faith, knowing that His thoughts for us are ALWAYS good, and not evil.